In my effort to bring relevant Google Docs/Apps info in a fair and balanced way, I will share my current frustrations with Google Apps. I am feeling more and more that the Google Apps for Education (GAE) version/setup is a punishment to previous users of Google Docs, and a true frustration for new users. Granted, most of what can be done, works fine, but there are several things that JUST DON’T WORK RIGHT!
Sharing: As I stated in a previous post, the sharing between domains, and with the world in general is booby-trapped in several ways. I can’t tell you exactly the problem, because I can’t figure out what is and isn’t. It seems very mercurial and fussy, and one thing works and one doesn’t. Example: I tried to embed a page I was sharing to the web from Google Apps. It kept asking outside users of my site for a Google Password (Not a GAE password, mind.)
Connecting: Whenever someone tries to add a calendar, it kicks them to a Google (not GAE) login.
Features: Some features behave differently or are not offered in the GAE version. Gmail themes and some of the better add-ons are not available in the GAE version.
In the grand scheme, these are small problems, most I could probably trouble shoot if I spent enough time figuring it out. I just hate that it might be the work of an hour and three phone calls to share a calendar.
My hope is that as time goes on, and GAE changes, that the difficulties and loss of features gets better.